Membership FAQs

Q - Why should I join the UK-SBA?

A - Becoming a member of the UK-SBA brings a range of benefits:

  • Members are able to post their details (qualifications, experience, special fields, etc.) on the UK-SBA Register and, if they choose to be, are searchable for work on the Register (students are an exception).
  • All members receive reduced fees on UK-SBA, EABG (Experimental Analysis of Behaviour Group) and EABA (European Association for Behaviour Analysis) conference and training events, access to the UK-SBA Job Board and access to “Members Only” areas of the website.
  • Members are eligible to join one or more of the Society’s special interest groups (SIGS). These groups coordinate activities around a particular area of interest, allowing members with specialised interests to network with one another. Members may apply to start a new special interest group. The current special interest groups are: ABA in Mainstream Education SIG, ABA Schools SIG, ABA Tutors SIG, Acceptance and Commitment Therapy SIG, Acquired Brain Injury (ABI) SIG, Behavioural Gerontology: Ageing and Dementia SIG, Crime and Justice SIG, Independent Practitioners SIG, Organisational Behaviour Management (OBM) SIG, Positive Behaviour Support (PBS) SIG.
  • Other professionals and potential clients can be assured that members have signed up to the UK-SBA Code of Ethical and Professional Conduct, have appropriate insurance for the work they do (either through an employer or as an independent practitioner) have an up-to-date DBS check, and a verified qualification and experience.
  • Members play a key role in supporting UK-SBA in working towards accreditation and recognition for Behaviour Analysts within the UK.

Q - If I am not searching for work, why do I need to appear on the Register?

A - All members, with the exception of student members, must appear on the Register, as this is a requirement of UK-SBA membership (i.e., if you are a Full, Associate or Affiliate member, you must appear on the register).  All members, including students, should complete their profile in full and attach the appropriate supporting evidence to their accounts. If you are not searching for work and/or offering supervision, your profile will appear on the Register (qualifications, experience, skills, etc.), but your contact details won’t.


Q - Why do I need to complete my account or attach evidence if I do not want to appear on the Register?

A - All members of the UK-SBA must complete their account and provide supporting evidence of qualifications and/or experience relevant to their membership category. If your choice is to appear on the Register as "available for work and/or offering supervision", you also will need to show (by attaching evidence) that you have a DBS check (or NI/Scottish equivalent), appropriate insurance and safeguarding training.  If you prefer to appear as "not available for work and not offering supervision", you will not be contactable via the Register and you won’t need to provide this evidence.


Q - Why do you require supporting evidence if I’m qualified and working in the field already?

A - We require your supporting evidence to demonstrate our profession is legitimate and that those on the Register are practising in accordance with the UK-SBA Code of Ethical and Professional Conduct and the UK-SBA Complaints Procedure.  The UK-SBA Register is a register of Behaviour Analysts in the UK and therefore everyone on the UK-SBA Register must demonstrate they are committed to the values of the UK-SBA and have the appropriate qualifications, checks and insurance.


Q - Can I use my CV as supporting evidence?

A - No, a CV is not a verified document and is therefore not permissible.  You must provide verified documents for each piece of supporting evidence.


Q - I am a practising Behaviour Analyst but I am also studying on a behaviour analysis course. Which membership type should I apply for?

A - You can choose whether you want to join as a student member and make use of the student benefits, or join as a qualified practitioner and appear on the searchable Register.  Student members don’t appear on the Register, but do have greater discounts at events, are entered into the free Quarterly Student Draw, and can apply for the Student Award.


Q - What is the difference in member benefits between Full, Associate and Affiliate members?

A - All three of these member types are afforded the same benefits of membership. They have the same discounts at our events and at EABG and EABA events, and they have the same access to members’ sections of the website.  The difference is the criteria needed for each type of membership.


Q - Why do I need to attach proof of my BCBA certification when I am on the BACB Register?

A - All members need to evidence their eligibility for their chosen membership level.  The UK-SBA is a standalone register and, as such, we need to be able to prove the eligibility of our members at any point purely based on the evidence we have been provided by our members.  You may be listed on another register, but we require certified evidence that you personally hold to allow us to do a full cross reference check.  Anyone can quote a certification number, so we hope you will understand that we need that little bit more evidence.


Q - I work in PBS - can I become a UK-SBA member?

A - If your qualifications or experience are in the field of Behaviour Analysis you will be eligible for membership.  Please refer to our UK-SBA Membership Grid for a concise summary of requirements for each member type.  As categories of UK-SBA membership are determined by experience and qualification in the field of Behaviour Analysis, you would need to evidence your Behaviour Analysis qualification(s) and experience. Formal qualifications in PBS typically meet our membership requirements for at least one of our membership categories (please see below).

For Full membership, your qualification(s) must be from an ABAI Verified Course Sequence. Your qualification may have been awarded outside of the UK, but it still must be from an ABAI Verified Course Sequence.  If you are applying for Full or Associate membership via the postgraduate qualification route, we cannot accept qualifications that do not fulfil this requirement.

The requirement of 1000+ hours of experience must be specifically in delivering behaviour analytic services and this must be confirmed by a Full Member or by a person eligible to be a full member of the UK-SBA.  We cannot accept references from anyone who is not a Full Member or eligible to be a full member of the UK-SBA.

For Affiliate membership, you must be able to evidence you are working in the field of Behaviour Analysis and you have been supervised by a Full Member or by a person eligible to be a full member of the UK-SBA in the previous six months.  We cannot accept reference from any supervisor who is not a Full Member or eligible to be a full member of the UK-SBA.


Q - I am a Behaviour Analyst, but I live outside of the UK - can I join the UK-SBA?

A - Unfortunately, no.  The UK-SBA Register has been created to provide a service for those seeking Behaviour Analysts living and working in the UK, and to support the move to accreditation and recognition for Behaviour Analysts within the UK.  It is therefore mandatory that all members of the UK-SBA are searchable on our Register, and whether they are searchable for work or not, they must reside in the UK.   All UK-SBA members are eligible to stand for election to the Board of the UK-SBA in some capacity, should they wish to do so.   It is therefore necessary that all of our members reside in the UK.


Q - I hold an MSc in Psychology - can I apply to be a member of the UK-SBA?

A - Qualifications need to be in Behaviour Analytic subjects.  Qualification(s) must be from a recognised ABAI Verified Course Sequence. Your qualification may have been awarded outside of the UK but it must be a recognised ABAI Verified Course Sequence.  We cannot accept qualifications that do not fulfil this requirement.  Your qualification must be specifically in Behaviour Analysis to qualify for UK-SBA membership.


Q - I am a Student member - why am I missing from the Register?

A - Student profiles do not appear on the Register.


Q - I am not from the UK, but I am a student of Behaviour Analysis at a UK university - can I apply for UK-SBA Student membership?

A - As long as you are residing in the UK during the time of your study, you can apply for Student membership.  If you are studying an online course at a UK university and residing in your home country, you are not eligible for student membership.


Q - I am a student of Behaviour Analysis at a university outside of the UK, but I live in the UK - can I apply for UK-SBA student membership?

A - Yes, but if you are not studying at a UK institution, you would not be eligible to stand for Student Representative to the Board.


Q - I work at an ABA school but don’t hold any formal qualifications in Behaviour Analysis - can I become a UK-SBA member?

A - Members are all searchable on the UK-SBA Register and therefore must either work or be qualified in Behaviour Analysis as the Register is a register of Behaviour Analysts.  If you do not hold a formal qualification in Behaviour Analysis, but have substantial experience in the field, you may still be eligible for Associate or Affiliate membership. In this instance please contact us at [email protected]  and we will advise you.


Q - Why do I need to provide an Enhanced DBS/Disclosure certificate?

A - An enhanced DBS/Disclosure is required for anyone who is working with children or vulnerable adults. It affords clients some level of safety assurance and is consistent with UK-SBA Code of Ethical and Professional Conduct.  Where a member has access to an enhanced disclosure, this should always be supplied as supporting evidence (rather than a basic disclosure).  Although there is no "expiry date" to DBS certificates, we ask members to renew checks at least every three years.


Q - Is an Enhanced Access NI or an Enhanced Scottish Disclosure the same as an Enhanced DBS?

A - Yes. The Enhanced NI is the Northern Ireland equivalent of the Enhanced DBS and the Scottish Disclosure is the Scottish version of the Enhanced DBS.


Q - I am self-employed and cannot get an Enhanced DBS check.  What do I do?

A - We understand that there are difficulties for independent, self-employed practitioners in obtaining an Enhanced DBS if they do not have an employer to apply for it on their behalf. We are actively exploring alternative routes for our members with the relevant authorities. If you are unable to apply for an Enhanced DBS check, please submit evidence of a Basic DBS check/disclosure.


Q - Can the UK-SBA process a DBS check for me?

A - Unfortunately, no. We have spent considerable resources in exploring avenues to support our members in obtaining enhanced disclosures.  As the law currently stands, we are not able to process disclosure checks for our members because we are not an employer.


Q - I work for an organisation.  Why do I need proof of insurance?

A - Anyone practising as a Behaviour Analyst should have professional liability insurance to protect themselves and their clients. If you work for an organisation, you will be insured to work under that organisation’s insurance.  You should ask your employer for a copy of the liability insurance they hold on your behalf and submit that certificate with your application.

Self-employed practitioners can purchase insurance from a range of providers. We name Towergate on our website, as they are used to insuring Behaviour Analysts.  There is of course no obligation to use Towergate and there are many other providers to choose from.


Q - I am employed by an organisation who provided me training in safeguarding, but I wasn’t given a certificate. How do I evidence my training?

A - Please ask your employer to provide you with a letter (on company letterhead) that includes the full title of the training course, the name of the organisation who delivered your training and the date you completed your training.  Please note that this type of evidence will considered on a case-by-case basis.


Q - I am a safeguarding provider.  Do I do need to evidence I have had safeguarding training?

A - In these situations, please provide evidence that you are qualified to deliver safeguarding training and whether the training is applicable for the population you serve (e.g., children and/or adults).


Q - Why do I need to provide evidence of collecting Continuing Professional Development units, CPDs, to my account?

A - Every member of the UK-SBA agrees to the statement “I agree to complete at least 6 CPD during my 12 month membership” when they register for membership.  This is a mandatory requirement to ensure best practice in our profession and to provide end user confidence.  We therefore need to see evidence on our Full, Associate and Affiliate member’s accounts to demonstrate this commitment has been upheld.  Students are the only members who do not need to evidence this as they are studying the subject and are therefore developing their knowledge by virtue of their studies.

The UK-SBA hold workshops throughout the year to ensure our members have opportunity to fulfil this commitment.  By attending one of these workshops you would collect the necessary CPDs for membership.


Q - What types of Continuing Professional Development units are applicable to the UK-SBA?

A - With the exception of Student Members, all members of the UK-SBA are required to evidence 6 hours of continuing professional development during each year of their membership.  We can accept Learning, Teaching and Scholarship units as long as they meet our criteria detailed in our accepted Continuing Professional Development Routes table.


Q - Are Continuing Professional Development units the same as BACB Continuing Education Units?

A - Yes, Continuing Professional Development units, or CPDs, are the UK equivalent of BACB Continuing Education Units, or CEUs.


Q - Do I have to be BACB registered to collect Continuing Professional Development units or BACB Continuing Education Units?

A - No, anyone can collect Continuing Professional Development units or BACB Continuing Education Units at a workshop they attend.