What if I have a complaint about someone on the Voluntary Register?

If you have a complaint about one of our Registrants, you should take it up in the first instance with the person or with the senior officer at the organisation where they work.

If your complaint remains unresolved, please refer to the UK-SBA Complaints Procedure.

We would point out that many complaints are contractual matters, which can only be addressed through the legal system and in these cases your local Citizen’s advice bureau or Law Centre may be able to offer the best advice.